Product Enhancements

When our good friends at leading design and branding studio, ITAL/C, were ready for a new site, we jumped at the chance to collaborate. Beyond the visual simplicity of the site, our goal was to focus on performance to ensure best practices were used and their SEO saw a significant improvement. This WordPress portfolio site enhanced their score on the Pingdom site speed test from a 66% to a perfect 100%.

View more Product Enhancements

The Problem

Previously, the team had a site that lacked a proper CMS that made updating content really difficult. Additionally, the site was built using custom JavaScript that prevented search engines from crawling page URLs and content. Additionally, we found lots of opportunities for improvement to ensure the site loaded more quickly, looked better on mobile devices, and most importantly, was easy to update.

Our Solution

In addition to our own site, we previously built a WordPress portfolio site for Mistress, so this project had a pretty clear goal to build the best performing portfolio site yet. The minimalist design ITAL/C came up with aligned perfectly with this goal.

The first step as we planned for the redesign and build was to improve the existing site to start generating SEO juice as soon as possible. This is when we realized the site was going to need a total overhaul. Some low-hanging fruit that we started with included adding a sitemap, adding a www redirect, installing Google Analytics and Search Console, meta titles and descriptions, a 404 page, robots.txt file added, some broken links fixed, Open Graph and social cards added, image attributes added, and some general bugginess fixed. These fixes helped the old site go from a 66% to an 88%.

While ITAL/C designed their new site, we tackled some low-hanging fruit like adding a sitemap, a www redirect, installing Google Analytics and Search Console, meta titles and descriptions, a 404 page, robots.txt file, some broken links fixed, Open Graph and social cards added, image attributes added, and some general bugginess fixed. These fixes helped take the old site from a 66% to an 88%.

Next, it was time to start with a fresh install to ensure their new WordPress portfolio site would always be up to date with their latest projects. In the admin area, we ensured they had to the tools to public great SEO posts, track site traffic and searches, manage newsletter subscriptions, optimize images, easily build unique case studies for each project, and even deflect malicious attempts to hack their site.

Next, we added  an SSL certificate and browser caching to ensure visitors to their site could view their visual work quickly and with security confidence.